Transferring your Google Voice number to another Google account or service is a straightforward process. However, you should note that transferring a Google Voice number comes with certain restrictions and limitations, so make sure you understand these before proceeding. Here are the steps to transfer your Google Voice number:
Step 1: Access Google Voice Settings
- Open a web browser and go to the Google Voice website (voice.google.com).
- Sign in to the Google account that currently owns the Google Voice number you want to transfer.
Step 2: Check Eligibility
Before you proceed, it’s essential to check if your Google Voice number is eligible for transfer. To be eligible, your number must meet the following criteria:
- It’s not a landline or wireless carrier number.
- It’s not already associated with another Google Voice account.
- It’s within the United States (international numbers are generally not eligible).
- It’s not on hold due to any Google Voice account suspension or abuse.
If your number is eligible, you’ll see the option to transfer the number on the Google Voice settings page. If you don’t see this option, your number may not be eligible for transfer.
Step 3: Initiate the Transfer
If your number is eligible for transfer, follow these steps:
- In Google Voice settings, click on the gear icon (Settings) in the upper right corner of the page.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Voice settings.”
- In the “Phone numbers” section, you should see the Google Voice number you want to transfer. Click on “Change/Port.”
- Click on “Transfer this number.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to initiate the transfer.
Step 4: Complete the Transfer Process
The transfer process may involve the following steps:
- Verifying ownership of the number by receiving a code on your current phone.
- Paying a one-time transfer fee. As of my last update in January 2022, the fee is $20.
Please note that you’ll need a valid Google account to transfer your Google Voice number. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to create a new Google account.
Step 5: Confirm the Transfer
Once the transfer process is complete, your Google Voice number will be associated with your new Google account. You can verify this by going to Google Voice settings in your new account and checking if the number is listed there.
Please be aware of the following:
- The transfer may take up to 24 hours to complete.
- Google Voice numbers cannot be transferred to a Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) account.
- You won’t be able to transfer the same number to multiple Google accounts.
It’s essential to follow the on-screen instructions during the transfer process, as the steps may vary slightly over time. If you encounter any issues or have specific questions, you can reach out to Google Support for assistance.